A healthy and delicious protein packed salad perfect for picnics and barbeques.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
1 small red onion finely diced
1 can pre-cooked black eyed beans drained
2 medium tomatoes diced
1 tablespoon fresh coriander
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sumac (I used dried mangoÂ powder instead)
1 clove garlic
1. Place the beans, onions , coriander and tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Add the garlic, lemon juice,vinegar salt and pepper,Â driedÂ mango powder powder and cumin powder and toss well.
3. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 1 hour to allow all the flavours to marinade.
4. Serve with toasted pitta bread.
A fast and speedy soup that is hearty and delicious .Â
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes.
2 medium carrots dicedÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
8 tomatoes diced
1 potato diced
2 cups waterÂ Â
1 bay LeafÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
1/2 teaspoon black pepper.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar.
1. In a microwaveable bowl add the bay leaf, potatoes and carrotsÂ with 1 cup of water and microwave on high for 5 minutes untilvegetables Â fully cooked .
2. Blend the tomatoes in a blender jug and puree them. Strain to remove skin and seeds and pour into a saucepan and add 1 cup water,Â simmer on medium heat.
3.Once vegetables are cooked remove the bay leafÂ and add them to the simmering tomato puree.
4. Add more water to get desired consistency. Add the salt, pepper and sugar.Taste and adjust seasoning as required. Simmer for 5Â more minutes.
5. You can either puree the soup in a blender jug to make it smoothÂ or leave it chunky .
Garnish with a drizzle of fresh cream and serve hot with fresh bread.
Preparation time â€“ 15 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Makes about 40 small pizza bites
2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry
2 tablespoon sun dried tomato paste
2 tablespoons tomato puree
Â½ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Â¼ teaspoon salt
200 grams grated mature cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 180ÂºC.
2. Oil two baking trays and keep aside.
3. In a bowl add the tomato puree, sun dried tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and chilli flakes and mix well.
4. Open out the ready rolled puff pastry sheets and spreadÂ the tomato filling evenly over both sheets leaving approximate 1 cm rim at one end.
5. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the tomato spread.
6. Using a pastry brush wet the 1cm rim end.
7. From the opposite end tightly roll the pasty to encase the cheese like a roulade.
8. Press down firmly to seal the wet edge.
9. Cut 1cm thick slices of the pastry roll and place the cut slices onto prepared oiled baking tray. (CoverÂ with cling film and freeze for later use at this stage).
10. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until pizza bites are crisp and golden brown.
11. Remove from oven and immediately transfer to serving plate.
Serve with tomato ketchup or chilli dip.