This cottage pie is made using Quorn Mince. Quorn is the brand name for a range of meat-free ingredients and meals sold here in UK. Â Quorn products areÂ Â versatile and quick to cook. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large fermentation vats.
Quorn produces both a cooking ingredients and a range of ready meals. It is sold as an alternative to meat and vegetarians love the taste.Â Â The only downside is that the binding agent for Quorn is egg and Â vegetarians who do not eat eggs will not be able to eat their products. Â Please checkout www.quorn.co.uk for more information.
I used Quorn Mince and mixed vegetables to make my cottage pie.
Â Ingredients for 2 -3 servings:
For the topping
5 -6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced largely
1 tablespoon butter
2 tbsp milk
2 or 3 cups of grated cheese
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
For the Filling
175 g ofÂ Quorn mince
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cloves ofÂ finely grated garlic
1 small Onion
1 cup mixed vegetables – I used peas, corn and carrots
half a can of chopped tinned tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato purÃ©e
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 smallÂ vegetarian stock cubeÂ or 1 tbsp vegetarianÂ bouillon powder
1. Preheat the oven to 190Â°C, Gas Mark 5
2. Â Using just enough water to cover the potatoes, Â cook the potatoes until tender, Â soft Â and mashable.
3. Meanwhile heat the oil in a saucepan and add the Quorn Mince. Add the salt and pepper and cook the Quorn mince at a medium heat until the mince Â starts to slightly brown.
4. Â Add the garlic , onions and the mixed vegetables.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purÃ©e, half a cup of water with the Oxo cube/ boullon powder Â and allow this to cook very gently on medium heat – stirring all the time, until the mixture has thickened.Â The Quorn minceÂ will absorb all the flavours from the tomatoes and garlic.
6. Transfer the cooked mixture to an Â oven-proofÂ dish.
7. Â Mash the potatoes with the milk and butter until smooth, season to taste with the salt, Â pepper and oregano.
8.Â Â For the topping:Â Cover the Quorn mixture with a layer of grated Cheese.
9.Â Next cover the cheese layer with the mashed potatoes
10. Â If you are feelingÂ adventurous, you can use a piping bagÂ to decorate the top of the cottage pie.
11. Â Cook in the centre of the Oven at 190 degrees Centigrade for 20 minutes.
12. Â Serve hot with a variety of vegetables such as Â parsnips or Green beans.