Healthy eating is no easy feat and fitting a healthy breakfast inside your hectic mornings can seem like an impossible task.
However I have the perfect solution, a low fat, lot calorie breakfast treat which is also pretty tasty, breakfast muffins.
The recipe is simple and you can make them on a Sunday so that they’re ready to grab and go whilst you rush to work, they even help you get your fruit and veg in.
Do you need any more convincing?
You will need:
- 75ml Olive oil â€“ Though this sounds like a lot, olive oil actually helps your body digest vegetables to allow you to fully absorb all their nutrients.
- 100g Unrefined cane sugar â€“ You can use regular sugar, but unrefined sugar is closer to it’s natural form and hasn’t undergone as many chemical processes so it’s better for your body.
- 1 large orange, zest and 3tbsp juice
- Â½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g spelt flour â€“ Spelt flour is less processed than wheat flour and does not contain the same nasty toxins, it’s also lower in calories
- 1tsp baking powder â€“ you can substitute this with bicarbonate of soda depending on what’s in your cupboard
- 2 eggs
- 1 mug of grated carrot â€“ change the amount according to taste, using a little less will disguise the vegetable taste from fussy eaters
- A large handful of walnuts
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oc, make sure to do this after you have prepared your ingredients or you will waste energy.
- Pop the orange, eggs, olive oil and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl and whisk until the liquid is frothy.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Using a metal spoon fold them into the mixture using a figure of eight movement, this will prevent air bubbles being destroyed and will ensure that your muffins will raise.
- Pour in the carrot and walnuts, gently fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into cases making sure you put equal amounts in each case so that they will require the same length of time to cook. Place in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, you can use this time to clean up, the muffins will be ready when you can place a skewer through the muffins and bring it out clean.
- Leave to cool on a cooling tray then place them in an air tight container ready for breakfast.
Image reproduced from gulchathaii.blogspot.co.uk