This savoury lentil cake called Ondhwa/Handvo by the Gujarati’s is a perfect dish to serve for weekend brunches, snacks and picnics. Â I often serve it at BBQ’s too.
Ingredients for 4 servings:Â
2 cups of ground chick pea dall (I soaked 2 cups of Â chana dall and blended it in a blender using some water. Â You can freeze the left over mixture)
Â½ cup corn flour
Â½ cup chick pea flour (Chana flour)
Â½ cup wheat flour
Â½ cup yogurt
Â½ cup chick peas or which should be soaked overnight and then boiled until soft. (you can used canned version too!)
1 onion – chopped finely
1 carrot – grated
1 cup grated cabbage
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables ( you can use any mixture you like)
3-4 cloves of garlic – minced
1 tsp. grated ginger
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
3-4 green chillies – finely chopped (optional)
Â½ tsp soda bicarbonate
3-4 tsbp lemon juice
1 tsbp sunflower seeds Â (optional)
For the tempering:
1 tsp. cumin seeds
4-5 tbsp oil
3-4 tbsp sesame seeds (save some to sprinkle on the top of the ondhwa)
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1 dried red chilly (optional)
Â 1. Â Pour all your flours into a mixing bowl and add yogurt and 1 cup of warm water and stir until smooth.
2. Â Mix all your vegetables and chick peas in one bowl. Â If you are using frozen vegetables, make sure they are defrosted.
3. Â Mix the vegetables and the mixed flours in a big mixing bowl. Â Add all the spices and the ginger, garlic and green chillies and mix well.
4. Â Add the lemon juice, mix and add the soda bicarbonate. Â The mixture should now rise a bit.
5. In a separate saucepan, heat the oil and add the tempering mixture – sesame seeds, cloves , cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, dried chillies. Â Once the spices stop popping add them to the ondhwa mixture and stir.
6. Â Transfer the mixture to a greased cake or bread tin and sprinkle some sesame seeds and sunflower seeds on the top and cook at 170 degrees C for 30 minutes. Â Lower the heat after that to 140 degrees for 20 minutes. Â Check if its cooked by putting a knife into the middle of the ondhwa. Â It should come out dry if its cooked. Â The top of the Ondhwa should be crispy and look fairly dark brown.
7. Â Serve it hot or cold with any sauce.