Crispy Tunisian style stuffed semolina bread with a spicy vegetarian harissa filling.
Preparation time 30 minutes
Dough Resting time 1.5 hours
Cooking time -25 minutes
240 g / 8 oz fine semolina
1 teaspoon fast acting yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 -1 cup warm water( use as much as required)
1 tablespoon plain flour for kneading and dusting.
1 medium carrot finely shredded
1 red onion finely chopped
1/4 red capsicum finely diced
1/4 yellow capsicum finely diced
2 medium tomatoes de seeded and finely diced
1 tablespoon harissa paste – Tunisian chilli paste( add more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon Â cayenne pepper
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a large bowl add the semolina, salt, sugar and yeast and stir together.
2. Add the oil and add a little water at a time until you have a soft pliable dough.
3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, cover and place inside the bowl.Cover and leave in a warm place to prove for 1 hour.
4.To make the filling , heat oil in Â pan andÂ sautÃ©Â the onions in it, once the onions soften slightly add the capsicums and grated carrot andÂ sautÃ©Â for about 5 minutes until both carrots and capsicums are cooked.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and the harissa paste andÂ sautÃ©Â for 3-4 minutes until the filling is thickÂ andÂ almost dry.
6. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
7.On a floured surface knock the air out of the doughÂ andÂ knead for 3-4 minutes, divide the dough into 10 parts and keep aside.
8. On a floured surface pat out two of the dough balls to form 3 inch circles.
9. Take a generous spoonful of the filling and place it in the centre of one of the dough discs.
10. Cover this with the second dough disc and using your thumb press the edges down to seal them.
11. Take a forkÂ andÂ makeÂ indentationsÂ around the edge to further seal the edgesÂ andÂ make a pattern. Repeat for remaining parts of dough.
12. Place the bread rolls onto an oiled baking tray and cover with a cloth. Leave aside for 20 minutes.
13. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees C/ 375 Â degrees F. Bake the Touarits for about 25-30 minutes until crispÂ andÂ golden brown.
14. Remove from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
Serve with soup