Healthy and delicious frozen bananas covered in Â delectable creamy white chocolate and sprinkles.
120 g / 4 oz white chocolate
1. Peel the banana and cut in half.
2. Push a lolly pop stick into the cut end and freeze the bananas for 30 minutes.
3. Melt the chocolateÂ andÂ when it has melted dip the frozen bananas into the chocolate.
4. Shake the extra chocolate off Â and sprinkle chocolate sprinkles all over the white chocolate.
5. Leave to set for 5 minutes before eating.
Moist eggless banana muffins with a hint of spice and a surprisingly crunchy nutty crumble topping.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time -25 minutes
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped Brazil nuts (can use any nut of choice)
2 tablespoons apple sauce (or 1 egg)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Brazil nuts
2 tablespoons sugar
Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
25 grams butter chilled
For muffin batter:
1. Preheat oven to 175C (350 degrees) and line the muffin pan with cases.
2. Mix sugar, salt, oil and apple sauce until well blended. Add mashed banana and chopped nuts. Mix well.
3. Sieve the flour with the bicarbonate of soda 2 times.
4. Gently fold in the wet ingredients into the dry with a metal spoon, Do not over mix.
5. Spoon batter into muffin cases about 3/4 full.
For crumble topping:
6. In a separate bowl add the flour and butter from topping ingredients. Gently using tips of your finger rub the butter into the flour to form a breadcrumb type mixture.
7. Gently stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nuts.
8. Sprinkle this crumble topping over the muffins and bake in oven for approx 25 minutes. Muffins are ready when a skewer inserted in them comes out clean.
9. Remove from panÂ andÂ cool on wire rack.
Delicious wholesome spicy Kenyan style plantain stew.
Preparation time -10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
5 green bananas -raw plantain (Matoke)
2 medium tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 green chillies.
150 ml water
1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander for garnishing
1. Peel the green bananas- plantain and slice them in to 5mm thick round slices and soak them in cold water.
2. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Slit both the chillies and remove the membrane and seeds and cut into 4 pieces.
4. Heat oil in a pan when it is hot add 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them splutter.
5. Drain the bananas and add to the pan followed by the tomatoes, salt and pepper and chillies
6. Mix well and add the water.
7. Bring the stew to boil , then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until bananas are tender and sauce has thickened.Add the lemon juice and stir.
8. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander.
Light, soft and fluffy pancakes, served with sweet bananas and chocolate sauce.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
75 gÂ plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
150 mlÂ milk
Sunflower oil for frying
2 bananas sliced
1 tablespoon confectionerâ€™s sugar for dusting.
1. Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl with half the milk.
2. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until it forms a lump free batter. (Consistency should be likeÂ single cream) Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper.
4. Pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base.
5. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula to cook this side.
6. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to aplate. Repeat process for rest of batter.
1. Place the pancake on a plate.
2. Place a row of banana slices in centre of pancake.
3. Drizzle on some chocolate sauce.
4. Roll up the pan cake and drizzle over some more chocolate sauce and dust with confectionerâ€™s sugar.
Creamy delectable substitute for dairy ice cream that tastes delicious without the fat and the added calories.
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Freezing timeÂ – overnight
Serves – 4
3Â Ripe Bananas
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Handful chocolate chip.
1. Peel and chop the bananas, place them in a Tupper ware container and freeze them over night.
2. Place the frozen bananas with the milk and vanilla essence in a mixer/ blender and pulse on high.
3. Spoon the banana ice cream into individual serving bowls and garnish with chocolate chip. Return to freezer for 30 minutes.
Serve with extra banana slices.
NB – Ice cream can be served immediately after blending, but if you would prefer a firmer texture then freezing for 30 minutes after blending will make the ice cream firmer.