With all the advertising campaigns going on about how to keep the skin on your face youthful, the most recognisable thing I have noticed with all the beauty hype is that there is little mention of the neck and yes the dÃ©colletage area (chest) is classed as the body but in â€œbeauty therapy termsâ€ the neck and chest are to be treated in the same way as your face.
If you’re in your early twenties or thirties you may think this article has nothing to do with you yet…. but it does, you need to take action before the skin around your neck and chest starts to show signs of ageing!
Remember the saying â€œprevention is better than the cureâ€. Well this is definitely the case when it comes to caring for your skin and keeping it young – especially in the neck and dÃ©colletage area.
Stress, smoking and sun damage all contribute to a skin that has nothing to do with the D.O.B on your birth certificate. The neck is one of the first places to show premature ageing as well as the chest. Skin is so much thinner in these areas, so a little TLC will go a long way.
How many times do you see a mature woman with – dare I say it â€œa turkey neckâ€ or a crÃªpey chest trying to cover up with a scarf. Do you want this to be you in years to come?
With spring around the corner and lower neck lines starting to appear in the shops, we should all start to think about looking after this part of our body you will be so thankful in later years that you did.
1. Collagen is the most important structure of the skin this keeps skin young, to keep it restored eat plenty of antioxidant foods such as fruit and veg.
2. Drink plenty of water throughout the day- water plump’s up the skin cells, giving it a more youthful look.
3. Cleanse your neck with a hydrating cleanser.
4. Use a mild exfoliator around neck and dÃ©colletage area.
5. Use a hydrating face mask to both areas.
6. Boost circulation around neck and chest area by splashing with cold water
7. Apply a rich hydrating/firming neck cream in both areas (if you’d sooner – after five minutes dab of the excess moisture with soft tissue). In the day time using a moisturiser with a sun block will be beneficial – never let the neck dry out, especially if exposed to the sun
8. Avoid spraying perfume directly onto the neck and chest area- as this is drying to the skin and over time will cause it to become crÃªpey.
9. With the top of your hand you can gently slap the underside of your neck 10 times, this will firm it.
10. Try reading a Carol Maggio facercise book. It will have neck exercises in it.
Come on all you ladies out there, start treating your neck with respect! If you ever run out of cream, don’t forget that there is always good old fashion Vaseline, so there really is no excuse for letting your neck and skin get old before it’s time.
Image reproduced from youbeauty.com