Sweetness of the beetroot and the tang from the lemon makes this relish delicious and tasty.
2 medium raw beetroots
1/4 small white cabbage
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Juice of half lemon
1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 green chilli finely diced
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 red dried chilli
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Remove the core from the cabbage and shred it finely.
2. Peel and grate the beetroot.
3. Add oil in a pan when it heats up, add the cumin seeds and dried red chilli, once the cumin starts to crackle add the grated beetroot and cabbage.
4. Stir fry till both vegetables start to wilt but still retain their crunch, add the sugar, chillies, lemon juice and salt and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
5. Transfer to a serving dish.
Serve as a side dish to a main meal, alternatively use it as a sandwich filling.
© 2013, City Connect News. Copyright Notice & Disclaimer are below.
About the Author: Nayna Kanabar is a working professional who has a passion for cooking, an interest in food styling, fruit and vegetable carving, innovative cookery and photography. Having a strong belief in healthy eating and home cooking, Nayna spends much of her spare time in the kitchen preparing and experimenting with wholesome healthy ingredients creating fusion and continental dishes giving them an Indian touch. She also enjoys cooking old family favourites but adapting the recipes and cooking techniques for healthier options to incorporate them into today’s lifestyle whilst taking care not to lose the authenticity of the dish. Click here for her food blog. Follow Nayna on Twitter @SIMPLYF00D